Many refugees coming to Germany have got qualifications they have acquired before in their home countries. The Niedersächsisches Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kultur (Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony) tries to support them with taking up their studies. If a refugee has already begun to study at a university in his home country, they try to help him/her to continue the studies at a university in Germany.

To be permitted to a German university you need sufficient documents of your previous education and a satisfying knowledge of the German language. The knowledge of the German language has to be level B1. If you don’t have sufficient documents you have to pass a test for admission and a special test which checks your qualification. The Niedersächsisches Studienkolleg in Hannover provides this test for admission:

If you suceed in the admission test above average and if the admission to your field of study is not restricted (numerus clausus) there is no special test for your qualification. You find further information at the Niedersächsisches Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kultur

First of all you need to find your field of study. There is a data-base with more than 17.000 offers in German and English:

Then you contact the university that offers your field of study.

We recommend this website. Here you can find information about studying at university  in German, English, Arabic, Dari, Pashto and Urdu.