Conditions for letting living space

If the refugees rent a room, flat or house, there should be a regular renting contract between landlord/-lady and refugee. It should not only be for a short period of time, so that the refugee can act independently and responsibly. The town council can pay the rent directly to give the refugee financial security. Speaking of security: Whenever they rent a living space for the first time they need to undertake a brief E-check. There are no specifications concerning insurance or the period of cancellation.

A single room can be let by anybody. The conditions concerning room and rent are generally the same. If the landlord/landlady want to get to know their tenants personally, they can do so - e.g. in the Cafè Hand in Hand. All the refugees get a town council’s Welcome Folder for refugees in their mother tongue. There they get all the basic information. Here you can download the German version: Willkommensmappe.pdf

For the benefit of refugees, neighbours and landlords/landladies it is helpful to get/give support at the beginning. E.g. the separation of waste: although it is explained in the welcome folder, it might be useful to get help to understand the system. Maybe it is possible to have an “Alltagsbegleiter” (attendant in everyday-issues) or the “Koordinierungsstelle” to help the refugees at the beginning.

Are you (citizen of Schneverdingen) interested in taking up an unaccompanied child or youth? There are special rules you can ask for at the “Jugendamt des Landkreises Heidekreis” (Youth Welfare Office of the region Heidekreis). The “Bundesfachverband